Are ZZ Plants Toxic To Cats?

Are ZZ Plants Toxic To Cats? The Zamioculcas Zamifolia, aka ZZ Plant, is a rather hardy houseplant that can survive just about anywhere.

In fact, even in areas with low lighting conditions, it’s able to thrive without much work on the part of the gardener.

Unfortunately, this plant is known to be one of the more poisonous ones out there and all parts of it are considered toxic to humans and animals alike.

Are ZZ Plants Toxic To Cats

The ZZ plant is a beautiful addition to any houseplant collection, both for its gorgeous dark green leaves and its unique appearance. While the ZZ plant can survive in just about any indoor environment and under low light conditions, it thrives best of all when placed near windows regularly bathed in sunlight because like a human being it needs water, food, and light to thrive.


Despite what has been told in previous times, there has not been any research that would deem the Voodoo Lily as a poisonous plant but more like an extremely toxic one.

However, the Voodoo Lily is not as toxic as you might think to imagine it to be and is potentially dangerous just like its name suggests.

As mentioned earlier, all parts of this plant are said to be very toxic and can cause some serious health problems if consumed by humans or animals alike including gastric distress, diarrhea, vomiting, and even coma.


For humans, the answer is yes. If eaten by people, it can cause rashes and irritation to the skin.

Cancers have not been linked to this common indoor houseplant, however, in the 2010’s a rumor was spread that stated that if swallowed it would cause cancer; also unsupported by data.

Most poison control groups classify toxicity reports against humans as nontoxic or moderately toxic/toxic based upon ingestion of only two or three mature leaves or one complete leaf dentate with sap.

However, we do not wish to suggest that such levels be recommended for consumption by novice users without qualified instruction.


The ZZ plant can be toxic to animals and humans. It contains calcium oxalate which can cause burning if it enters the body in a different way than it’s meant to, such as through ingestion.

The crystals are sharp and pointy. If ingested or touched my skin, they will cause inflammation of the mucus membranes, skin, and eyes of both pets and their owners or even those who care for them.


Do Cats Like The ZZ Plant?

All plants are toxic to some degree, but there are a lot of plants that people seem not to think about when it comes down to the dangerous ones.

ZZ plants are extremely toxic and like other forms of live insects, rodents, they can be poisonous to dogs, cats, and humans as well because they contain calcium oxalate or oxalic acid.

What If My Cat Eats a ZZ Plant?

Another way the Zygocactus and your pet connection works is that when a pet accidentally brushes against a Zygocactus, they’ll develop irritation in their eyes and skin.

When ingested by your pets, they will quickly display symptoms of food poisoning symptoms like vomiting and diarrhea.


Leave a Comment